Sunday, February 15, 2009

Musicians these days

Lend me your ear (er...eyes rather) and allow me promulgate to you what causes me great indignation:

I have spent roughly seven years or more practicing and becoming as proficient as I can. I have spent countless hours on Myspace networking and promoting bands I have been in, writing and recording my music, my scores. Learning how to do these things, teaching others.
All in all, I have devoted a great portion of my golden years to honing my craft, in hopes that I could possibly receive recognition and enough money to continue doing what I love.
Not that this is impossible, on the contrary it is still possible, and if there is anyone to blame for this not being my reality, it is myself.
What does cause me great woe, however, is that at one point good musicians were few and far between. They were respected, revered, idolized, even if they were not chart topping musicians. I remember as a young, young boy when my brother joined his first band, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. "My brother in a band. They play concerts." I thought; and they were fairly popular in the local area.
But what I find now is that everyone under cerulean skies plays a freaking instrument, and as the population remissly continues to exponentiate, musicians become so profuse that there is no need to revere them anymore. "I'm in band" does not cause that look of reverence in the eyes of the people that I meet; they could care less. And why should they? For every good band there are five horrid, fetid pieces of bile, and out of every few people who mention (un)casually that they are in a band, two are probably members of a malodorous concoction of poorly playing Disturbed fans.
And so, I have found that when I divulge to coworkers or people I have recently been introduced to, that I have a band, and I want them to check out our Myspace, they make an indolent attempt at sounding interested, and never venture to the page. I do not blame them; Nay, I understand, I just wish that I lived in a simpler time when I was not a piece of grass in a field; when I could be respected for spending so much time working on art, on something that requires a great deal of time and effort to even begin, let alone create.

Everyone has to start somewhere; I am not condemning neophytes. Maybe the root of exasperation is all the 15 year old girls who think it would be great to have a sweet baby of her own, all of the people who gesticulate that in this day and age it is appropriate to have six kids. But, I digress into another topic of its own that I would love to discuss with you in the near future.
In closing, I do not propose any solution. I merely wanted to vent and rant; and I think as a first post it accomplishes a few things:
  • Now you know a few things about me
  • You know what I am passionate about, and something that bothers me
  • And maybe if I can spark some discussion about this topic or population woes then I can at least feel semi-conducive to that, and therein feel accomplished.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
It is my first and therefore any feedback concerning my writing style, suggestions, or even the post itself would be greatly appreciated!

Soberly (for now),
-Rob Mullis

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for your comment! I know I only have one post but I'm working on the next to come. I note you also just started blogging. I like it because I gives me that chance to just say what I feel without anyone really knowing who I am. Give my point of view and just let it all out. I myself play the keyboard, but I'm pretty sure I'm not as good as you are because I dont put as much time as I should. Your post made me look at this in a whole different way. Just keep doing what you do...I feel the passion you have for this. In time it will be acknowledged but at least you know you are giving your all.

    I'm look forward to more post! I'll check back.

    ReplyDelete